This position is responsible for coordinating Lean/ RCI transformation activities, will champion change, and will be a leader of and resource for the application of Lean/ RCI improvement methods and tools. The role will support our operation and its stakeholders in planning and facilitating kaizen events and will work with managers and associates to sustain results. This position is key to accelerating our performance improvement and must provide clear value and a ROI to the organization.
Provide input and recommendations for improvement in business processes and overall strategic initiatives.
Oversee the development and implementation of strategic work plans to realize expected performance improvement results.
Develop and deploy lean process methodology and tools.
Ensure the effective application of Lean/ RCI methods and tools across all functions of the facility.
Provide training in the use of Lean/ RCI methods as required. Be an internal coach and consultant to the management team in the use of Lean/ RCI tools.
Promote the culture of Rapid Continuous Improvement throughout the facility.
Support the planning and facilitating of formal and ad hoc kaizen project teams.
Review progress of project teams against goals and objectives (30-60-90)
Utilize internal and external benchmarking to provide a vision of a desired future state.
Directly manage individuals assigned to the RCI department (currently 2 techs– 1 shift)
Directly manage the TPM process and individuals for the operation
Required Education and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering or Operations Management
- Master’s Degree in Business or Operations Management preferred but not required
- Knowledge and application of improvement strategies including, but not limited to, value stream mapping, variability analysis and reduction, policy deployment.
- Team leadership and organizational development skills
- High level of personal organization
- Strategic planning and development
- Use of policy deployment
- Project development and management
- Presentation and training skills
- Effectively lead and facilitate meetings
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Mentoring and coaching capabilities
- Problem analysis and resolution
- Advanced computer skills including, but not limited to, Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access, Visio, Project
- Able to influence at all levels to lead and manage change.
- Strong enthusiasm and team orientation.
- Minimum 8 years of engineering or operations management experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Minimum 8 years in the application of Lean and/or Six Sigma improvement techniques.
- Proven ability to drive continuous improvement results through the use of, RCI Tools
- 8 wastes
- Value stream mapping
- Six sigma or lean sigma
- Bias to action – drives improvement/problem-solver
- Follow up on newspapers – achieve goals from past RCI events
- Teach/coach – mgmt team to the shop floor
- Balance of tactical and strategic focus – short term operational needs vs longer term innovation
- On the floor – practical application vs theory
- Skills of an engineer
- Analytical without being over-analytical
- Good written and verbal skills
- Very proficient in PowerPoint